Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fifty posts and four months later...

In October I was worried that I wouldn't keep this blog up. I feared it would go by the wayside like all the other attempts at a journal, and would eventually get dug up a few years later and start a new cycle of writing and abandonment.

While there's always a looming chance of things like that happening - life is rapidly trying to eat all available time, including this - it doesn't look like it's any time in the near future.

Today we celebrate. I now give a gift of my twelve favorite posts of the last four months, and why I love them so. Not that I don't like all of my writing (which is true for all writers, including egotistical ones), but certain posts stand out more to me. In no particular order:

Halloween - I've been meaning to say a few things about specific holidays for a while now, and Halloween (while one of my favorites) is not exempt from criticism. Really though, it's not the holiday's fault. It's the immaturity inherent in people trying to get laid.

Why I Hate the Yankees - They have it coming to them.

Why I hate the MTA (Part 3) - If I had not written this blog, I would not have decided to calculate the times... and discover the amazing inconsistency, leading me to believe that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has some sort of time vortex installed under the Staten Island Ferry terminal.

Politics are for Smart People - Also known as "Examples of why I feel abortion should be an option."

Make Friends with (better) Grammar - This is a pet peeve as a Writing major. Sometimes grammar and I don't get along very well for stylistic reasons, but in most cases it's my BEST FRIEND. It should be EVERYONE ELSE'S TOO.

Ten Disney Villains that are Awesome - Disney Animated Classics are simultaneously over and underrated. The villains never get enough love, and the heroes are usually generic pussies. Sadly, villains besides Darth Vader don't sell.

Sackboy Just Shot Master Chief in the Face - I will always be a child of the platforming era.

Nature of Attraction - I learn a lot of things when acting the shrink for my friends. Huzzah for observations!

"She thinks she missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars." - Awesome song to describe senility. Incidentally, planning for one's own Midlife crisis was a fun idea that sparked interesting conversation after publishing. I want more like this down the line.

Seven Year Snapshot - Possibly a spark to that midlife crisis. Also, better for me in sentiment than most others.

Voyeurism Doesn't Work in Society - A request for all to be good people. I know it's not for everyone, but it should be for most people.


Nothing.
- Literally, nothing. But that's within this month, and you probably remember that already.

It's a minor celebration, like a couple celebrating being together for nine months. Outside of someone getting knocked up, it's not all that amazing a feat. A month? Six? A year? All landmarks for a new couple, in small ways.

I celebrate now because no one should ever need a reason to celebrate. Life will only last so long. Why not celebrate that you have it?

No comments: