Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Let's try this again.

Over the past few years I've attempted a blog 9 times that I can remember, each failing from eventual lack of activity. I can't say with certainty that this attempt will go anywhere, this may well be my only post. I hope it isn't, but I'm fully prepared for this go to fail too.

My name is Andrew, and I'm a writer. I specifically write creative nonfiction (don't let the sirens in your head go off - if I were to pepper my work with lies before I'm even known, how would that save my career?), though I've been known to dabble in short plays, poetry, and occasionally terrible fiction. I'm finishing a BA in creative writing at an underrated school in the CUNY system. There's a good many people who would disagree about this, but this good many is mostly composed of folks who would've done the world a better service through being thrown down a flight of stairs at a young age.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information in the very first entry, especially as most introductions to these things I've written have been unrelated to my attempts after at a meaningful literary foray. My tone can't ever be anything but casual online in my own journal. I can speak and write in whatever tone I choose... except when I'm actually trying to say something. Then the naturally fitting speech emerges, and I can't restrain it.

That said, in the event that this is my only post on this blog ever, I'd like to thank you for reading it so far. I'm sure it's as interesting to you as wood chips to an armadillo, and you have my undying gratitude for keeping up this far. If you stopped reading when I made that crack about throwing children down flights of stairs, then I suppose it doesn't matter what I say about you at this point. Bastards.

I used to end these things with a snippy little send off, like I was some sort of news figure with an awesome following. "Love, luck, and leverage." Sure, they're all useful, but each will only get you so far. Love has earned it's place in many people's [insert location here], and most folks these days are looking to get lucky in some way or another. Leverage is a little more tricky. It could be a wish for you to get the upper hand in the questionable situations you may encounter in life, say several of my old readers (in this case, friends who used to follow what I wrote because I would ask their opinions after. It quickly became a love/hate relationship with many.) Others have insinuated that it's in a political context, though this seems far fetched. If I cared about politics, I would've tried to join The Onion. In reality, it was just a wish for traction on snowy days. Look how that one took off.

Treads on boots, lady luck, and that "four letter word," - all useful, to a point. When the weather improves, all the leverage in the world will only make you seem like an overbearing ogre. Lady luck, in experience to date, is a two timing whore that will jump ship as soon as you decide to try to embrace her. Love turns out to be the only thing of the three that doesn't even really exist in itself, but only in others and in conjunction with yourself. Even then, if you're a nihilist or a politician, it doesn't exist at all. They're all limited in scope.

This revelation leaves me dead in a raft for how to end posts like this, or even if they should ever end. You're still here, so that's got to count for something. Should it ever end?

I don't think I should ever end th

No comments: